The Journeyman Asics Northeast Duals (or some combination of those words to get the event title right) is Sunday the 15th at Hudson Valley Community College. 20 teams square off in various duals and some interesting early matches will ensue. It'd be great to be in the area for it, but if you are not Flowrestling has the live streams for you. I am personally looking forward to wearing sweatpants and watching some duals Sunday morning.
Here are some of the duals I am looking forward to the most.
#22 Minnesota vs #8 NC State
- I actually said on an episode a few weeks ago that it's so hard to imagine a season where NC State would be heavily favored in a dual over Minnesota. I had no idea that they were planning on scrapping in November. I refuse to believe the ranking is appropriate for Minnesota and they'll finish 9th in the Big Ten. However, Coach Papolizio is building something special at NC State and their top ten ranking is no fluke. At 141, Tommy Thorn vs Kevin Jack would be interesting if it happens.
Side note: Minnesota also faces North Carolina and Lehigh on Saturday making them underdogs in all three duals. So either Minnesota is officially having the down year we all expected or we are looking at a better Gopher team than planned.
#4 Michigan vs #21 West Virginia
- Much has been made about the Michigan lineup this pre-season. Now it's the Wolverines chance to make a statement in three duals with the biggest challenge being Sammie Henson's Mountaineers. At 125, a pair of All-Americans face off right away with Conor Youtsey and Zeke Moisey. Another top ten match at 197 should feature rising star Jake Smith and 8-year senior Max Huntley. It should be a great test for both squads.
#14 Oklahoma vs #24 Rutgers
- This is a talented Rutgers team ready to make some noise. However, Mark Cody has a solid squad as he improves the Sooner program. This should make for a quality dual to watch. At 165, Glass vs Perrotti should be interesting. Ranked heavyweights should square off between Billy Smith and Ross Larson.
#9 Lehigh vs #11 Nebraska
- Both teams have a stable of ranked guys to litter this dual with great matchups. TJ Dudley vs Nathaniel Brown at 184 should highlight the match. Tim Lambert and Darian Cruz should be a fun one at 125 as well and Flo has two top ten guys at 141 with Randy Cruz and Anthony Abidin. A lot of swing matches to make this a can't miss dual.
Northern Iowa vs Oregon State
- It always seems like the talented coaching staff at Northern Iowa creates a couple stars each year that are off the radar. I'm very interested for their Blaize Cabell to take on Junior World Champion Amarveer Dhesi (Canada). Dhesi has struggled in folkstyle compared to the large success he has acquired in freestyle. After an injury last year, it'll be fascinating to see how he fares this collegiate season.
There are many great possible matches. Some teams and individuals have the opportunity to make some huge statements this weekend!