It's another January weekend meaning the dual slate will be plentiful over the next four days. Here's some highlights on what we are looking forward to.
Missouri @ Oklahoma State
- Missouri hasn't lost since their trip to Stillwater almost two years ago, and it's not like they haven't wrestled anybody in that time (see 2015 National Duals). The Cowboys have had a weird season, and you wonder about their readiness for such a challenge here. They lost their previous big matches of the season with Iowa and North Carolina State, but Smith's lineup keeps changing for a myriad of reasons. The streak is in serious jeopardy, but a couple swing matches here could certainly keep it alive.
Central Michigan @ Michigan
- The Chippewas will look to rebound from their rivalry loss to Missouri by travelling to Ann Arbor. The matchups don't look good to steal a team victory, but there are some interesting bouts here. Can Bruno get going with Keener? Heffernan has looked tough, but challenging Pantaleo may be another story. Luke Smith vs the banged up Brian Murphy is not a sure thing. Finally, Mike Ottinger is coming off a nice win over Blaise Butler and will now be tested by the surging Mahomes.
Iowa State @ Oklahoma
- A nice old school Big 12 dual here. Iowa State is coming off a nice win at the Virginia Duals but then an upset by Arizona State. There are some toss-up matches here to try to steal one from the Sooners.
Lehigh @ Cornell
- Cornell has three national championship contenders, but the rest of their lineup has struggled. Lehigh would love to take advantage and take the EIWA dual crown.
Penn State @ Illinois
- Nolf vs IMar has been the story, but for no valid reason other than to watch Nolf get destroyed. People hoping for the freshman to give IMar a run are sadly mistaken. Zane Richards will have to bear a tough Conaway to keep his hot streak alive. Also, Brunson came back from injury so we might see him against Bo Nickal. With a clear advantage at heavyweight, Illinois has some interesting matchups to exploit against Penn State.
Indiana @ Michigan
- Mahomes has a great opportunity this weekend to proclaim himself a true contender. After #9 Ottinger on Friday, he'll face #6 Nate Jackson. Sneaky match at 125 here with Elijah Oliver trying to knock off Youtsey.
Iowa @ Nebraska
- Iowa's biggest test of the conference dual slate comes with a trip to Lincoln. I'm not seeing much of an upset possibility for Nebraska the way things shake out, but matches aren't wrestled on paper. Brooks vs Dudley should be a good one though.