United World Wrestling has released a statement indicating new rule changes for Greco Roman wrestling as well as an hour long video in which U.S. Offical, Zach Errett goes through a power point presentation giving examples of the new rules.
Key points for the new rule set.
• All cautions are worth 1 point.
• Standing wrestling is principle element in Greco-Roman wrestling.
• Interruption due to passivity is limited.
• Ordered bottom wrestling only if wrestlers are nearly equal in standing.
• Only one ordered bottom wrestling per period.
• New way of ordered bottom wrestling (lying on the stomach).
• Negative wrestling is prevented immediately.
• Passivity is confirmed by the mat chairman, along with falls and cautions.
UWW as a whole looks to keep improving the Greco product which saw 39.5% of the matches at the 2017 Senior World Championships with no technical moves attempted. Watch the linked video and let us know on twitter, facebook, or in the comments if you think these new rules will make greco great again.